Pentax has just announced its latest Optio W-series rough and compact camera—the W90. This thing is seriously tough looking and feeling (I got my hands on it in a sneak preview at PMA), and has some major upgrades from the previous W line models, including a more rugged appearance (complete with attached carabiner for clipping the cam to your body as you scale mountains) and Digital Miscroscope Mode with LED lighting. The LEDs are bright too. When you take super close up shots in Macro or Digital Microscope modes, you tend to shadow the small objects you’re trying to capture, but with this triangle of three bright lights shining directly onto the subject you combat that shadow. This 12MP camera is waterproof up to 20-feet, shockproof up to 4-feet, coldproof to sub-freezing temperatures and includes Eye-Fi wireless SD memory card connectivity. The Optio W90 will be available in April for $329.95.
GOLDEN, CO (February 24, 2010)…PENTAX Imaging Company has announced the eleventh generation PENTAX Optio waterproof digital camera built for rugged adventure in every way. The PENTAX Optio W90 offers enhanced waterproof, shockproof, dustproof, and coldproof performance and features an inventive Digital Microscope mode with LED lighting to capture small but intriguing subjects. Designed with the look of mountaineering equipment, the Optio W90 kit includes a woven web fabric strap complete with a carabiner to attach the camera to a backpack and other outdoor gear.
Adventure photography doesn’t get any better than this. The rugged Optio W90 offers photographic performance, innovative features and style that surpass other outdoor compact digital cameras now available on the market.
- Waterproof to 20 feet for reliable underwater photography
- Shockproof to 4 feet withstanding the rigors of extreme use
- Coldproof to sub-freezing temperatures for use in wintery, snowy activities
- 12.1 megapixel sensor and wide angle 5X optical zoom (28-140mm equivalent)
- Digital Microscope mode with LED lens lighting perfectly captures the smallest and closest macro subjects as near as 1cm from the camera
- Eye-Fi wireless SD memory card connectivity for built-in Wi-Fi capability to transfer photos and videos from the camera to a computer or an online sharing site such as Picasaweb, Flickr, Facebook and YouTube. (Eye-fi cards sold separately.)
- Large 2.7 inch LCD with 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio that is easy to view in strong light or underwater
- Capture movies in widescreen 720p HD video at 30 frames per second
- An HDMI port plays back beautiful high resolution imges and video on HDTV’s
- Advanced Pixel Track Shake Reduction captures blur-free images in any lighting
- Fast Face Detection, Smile Capture, Blink Detection, and processing modes specifically designed for portraiture, and new Pet Recognition captures up to 3 pre-programmed pet faces in memory
- Infrared remote control compatibility with new waterproof Remote Control WP, as well as other PENTAX infrared remotes
- Autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus, even in challenging lighting